Colourful Cards and Polka Dot Tutorial with Lauren

09:00

Hi Canaries and Happy Monday! Lauren here! If you live in certain parts of Australia today is the Queen’s Birthday public holiday – so I hope that you are taking the opportunity to get creating with the May ScrappyCanary kits. There are still some in store, so head on over and snap one up before they are gone! 

Hubby and I are still in the midst of moving (but we move into our new house and new scraproom this week) so I have been crafting with limited supplies and tools – therefore this week I have whipped up a couple of cards using the May Pocket Life Kit YUM! Don’t worry though; I will be back with a yummy Pocket Life spread soon, so stay tuned.

The first card and coordinating gift tag I made for my Uncle’s birthday. I wanted to show you that you can make cards for men with pink. I used the Dear Lizzy Fine & Dandy 4x6 Project Life card with the candles – perfect for a birthday.


I then created the sentiment used the SNAP mint letters using a text message style as my uncle is notorious for his strange text speak. I decided to stitch around the title box in a coordinating orange thread, to bring out the candle colours.


To further embellish the card I used the heart from the Elle’s Studio Let’s Eat Bits and Pieces pack and also the hot pink Seven Paper Phrase Stickers, along with a couple of enamel dots from my stash.


I also created a coordinating gift tag using one of the journaling cut out tags from the Fine & Dandy paper, some cardstock, dots and thread from my stash, the cheers tag from the Let’s Eat pack and finished it off with a phrase sticker.

For my next card I decided to play with the Mix & MatchGelatos Colours Tropical Pack, which is available in the store (it's currently sold out but if you contact Manda she can order things in for you). 
The Mix & Match packs are a great introduction to Gelatos and also give you a chance to try out new tools. In the Tropical pack you also get a stipple brush (for splatters) and a dot dabber, which is perfect to make polka dots.


To create the polka dots I coloured a piece of thin plastic with the gelatos and I then rubbed the dot dabber on the plastic to pick up the colour.


You then can transfer the colour to the paper, creating polka dots.


I layered the four different colours to create almost a confetti or bokeh effect on the paper. I then fussy cut out the gold hello circle from the Fine & Dandy paper.



To finish it off I added three of the Seven Paper Phrases and some enamel dots from my stash.


So there you have it – a fun and vibrant card. I want to encourage you to think outside the square with your kits – just because it is a Pocket Life kit, it doesn’t mean you can’t create other things with them. I find the kits perfect for card making.

Scrappy Canary is almost one and to celebrate there will be lots of fun specials happening, including FREE SHIPPING for orders over $30 and don’t forget to use the code LAUREN10 to get 10% off your order.


Happy crafting, Lauren xx

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

* indicates required

Blog Archive