Taking a sketch and making it my own (with Sandra)

09:00

Good morning Canaries!

It's Sandra here today, with an attempt at the December sketch...that doesn't look at all like the December sketch! I will plead that I made every effort to stick to the sketch... at least with the first round of photos, which were actually from my recent beach holiday. And as bright as some of the papers from November's Memorandum scrapbooking kit were, I am a bit of a perfectionist and I just couldn't get to the point where I was perfectly happy with the result. So my first step was to change up my papers, but in the end I realised it was my photos, so by the time I'd finished "pushing paper", I was down to one photo and using a design that barely reflects the original sketch.... whoops! I promise I had full intention of using it, but sometimes the hands do what the hands gotta do! And when this colour scheme ended up on my workspace, I looked no further and went with the flow!


As you can see I chose a black & white photo of my son and I from our photo shoot TWO years ago - yikes! This photo already exists in his pocket style baby album (using Project Life Baby Boy Edition), but I often intersperse 12x12 layouts in there too.


The only thing I didn't use from the Canary November scrapbooking kit, Memorandum, was the Amy Tangerine '&' stamp, which I bought from the Canary shop a few months ago (they're all sold out now, sorry). I had previously been using mostly Stazon ink, but was recently recommended Archival, and have to say I have not been disappointed - I couldn't believe how crisp this stamp turned out!


If you look closely, you'll see some elements of the original December sketch. I have grossly enlarged the border by cutting down the blue and white stripe paper. I also kept two of the photo mats, although with just the one photo, they show more 'white' space than the sketch. Essentially I still have my 4 main squares (1 photo, 1 journaling card, and the two 6x6 papers), they're just not in the same format... (or is that just me trying to convince myself?!)



Either way, I absolutely adore the colour palette, and only wish I had more of these papers - I may have to pick myself up the extra November papers from the Scrappy Canary store.

As you can see, just because a sketch has certain elements to it, they are always just inspirational starting points. If you've always felt you can't work with them, perhaps it's time to try again, especially at this time of year. I find sketches and a kit, help me get so much further in a quicker amount of time. We'd love to see how you interpret the sketch also!

Till next time, and oozing with love and light,
Sandra xx

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

* indicates required

Blog Archive