Happy New Year! December Reflections with Lauren

09:00

Happy New Year Scrappy Canaries! It's Lauren here - I hope that you all had a wonderful holiday season and that you are ready to jump into 2015 full of creativity! I am so excited to be continuing on as a member of the 2015 Creative Team - so get ready to see a lot of more of me this year!

As I mentioned in my last two posts - this year was my first year doing a December album. In my first post I showed you how I was setting up my album and getting started, in the next post I walked you through my pages and today I wanted to do a round up of the journey!

In my album I exclusively used the Scrappy Canary Document December kit - the only additional items were the album, adhesives, paint for the cover, card stock and the photos themselves.

Throughout the album I have used a lot of different techniques and embellishments and I thought I'd take you through some highlights. I had never used a 6x8 album before so this was my first foray into this size and I have to say I loved it. It was very manageable and it also gave me a chance to try new things, such as using a single full page photo and then embellishing on the photo.


I used it in the layout above and I really loved how it turned out! Full-sized photos made a few appearances across my album. 

As I'd never done a December album before I spent a lot of time looking at how other people have done them. One of the tips that kept coming up was working on your foundation pages in preparation for December. This was a great piece of advice and I took it on board. I spent a lot of time working on them and it made the entire process so much easier and I was able to keep on top of the project (let's now mention all my other non-December album scrapping that has fallen by the wayside). 


All I had to do was add in the photos, journalling and embellishments on the photos - everything else was already done. album consistencies and foundation pages - made it so much easier. I also wanted to keep a level of consistency throughout the album - which is why I used the same style tags throughout the album. I'm really happy that I did this as it brought together the entire album, plus who doesn't love shipping tags. 

I absolutely loved embellishing all of my pages and the Scrappy Canary kit had so many in it! The Basic Grey embellishments were perfect (such as the bird and the transparencies below) and as they were from the same Evergreen collection as the papers, they looked awesome! The Elle's Studio wood veneer were also great to use. 


Who doesn't love sequins! I sprinkled them across all of my spreads and they add a 'little bit of sparkle'. Speaking of a 'little bit of sparkle' - I used the tag that Manda had on the sequin bag in the above layout - I loved it that much! In fact the kit packaging was throughout my entire album - from the twine in all my tags, to the actual packaging tag from the kit on my front cover! 

The beauty of the December album is that you can add as many pages as you like! For special days that were action packed I was able to do a double page spread! For one day! So fun! 


Above is a double paged spread of Christmas Day. Our Christmas Day was a simple day - lunch with my Mum, delicious food and walk to Christmas lights to finish the night off! I also loved using all of the printables that were included in the kit. How cute is the Christmas Top 5? It was perfect to capture all of the wonderful moments of the season and I thought it was a great point to put this card. 

I decided to document the entire month - rather than just up to Christmas Day - it was fun to capture everything. I am so proud of album! In fact I even caught my husband flicking through it yesterday so it must be good! 



I have really enjoyed the journey of documenting our December and I know that the album will be a frequently looked a memento of the holiday season. I hope you've enjoyed coming along the December journey with me both here on the blog and also on the Scrappy Canary instagram account. Now, let's get 2015 started! Lauren, xx. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

* indicates required

Blog Archive