A challenge to Celebrate You - with Kate

11:00

Good morning Polly peeps - and Happy Mother's Day to all those fellow Mums celebrating today.
When I realised that I had a post scheduled for today, I thought long & hard about what kind of project to present. I thought about doing a layout to celebrate my mum; then I thought maybe I should make some Mother's Day cards or a PL spread celebrating motherhood. But when I saw the April kits - April Showers & French Kiss , I was heavily influenced by the "French" theme, and decided instead to scrap an old photo of me in Paris - pre-kids. And here it is.


It is a very simple layout, using primarily the French Kiss kit, with little extras added from the April Showers Kit. I completed this layout as part of the National Scrapbooking Day #NSD10k challenge last weekend. The colours in French Kiss really did genuinely remind me of Paris - lots of grey for the steel, with touches of stone & blue. So I started with my favourite piece of paper front the SC Wanderlust collection. Because the paper has quite a lot going on, I didn't want to add a huge amount of more detail to the layout. The grey paper was a lovely complement & went beautifully with my touristy shot in front of the Louvre. 

I then added those great wood veneer arrows, and some words from the Wanderlust stickers. I couldn't resist a spot of French & added j'adore to make up my title "j'adore Paris". Oh how I adore those thickers. The colour, the size. They were my favourite part of the kit this month.

Paris & I have quite the history. I have a degree in Art History, so had always dreamed of going to Paris to visit the Louvre & all of the other beautiful museums. But for one reason or another, I let a couple of opportunities to go fly by. So many years after graduating from University, I finally made it to Paris in 2003, after spending 6 months working through a cold & dark winter in Korea. Can you believe that after arriving in Paris into the beautiful spring sunshine, I didn't want to go inside. I wanted to drink in all the sun! So this is my only photo at the Louvre! Because after all those years waiting, I didn't go inside!!!! But I had a glorious time anyway.

I used a typewriter to do some journalling, and have completed some more on the tag tucked behind the photo. I love this method of journalling. Adding more details to the stories without being on display.

I finished off the layout with a flair & some cork. Not too much, but just enough to add some interest. I have to admit, I loved the process of making this layout. I was over at Carol house & I shared my many memories of this time with her, while creating this. All the memories just came flooding back. And not only that, it was from a time before I became a "Mum", when I was just "Kate" - a friend, a hard worker, a traveller, an adventurer. It was nice to remember that time - and celebrate me, for ALL I am. That is my challenge to you this Mother's Day - to celebrate you, all of you, the past you and the current you. If you are a Mum, maybe tell the kids a story from you "pre-kids" days. Mine loved hearing about Paris.

Hope you all have a lovely day.

Till next time
Kate



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

* indicates required

Blog Archive