Sketch Challenge Layout using March kit with Sandra Bunch

12:14



Hi everyone, it's Sandra here today with a layout using March Scrapbooking Kit Spearmint Leaves. Sorry ladies (and gents?), these are all sold out, but I know there are plenty of you with this kit as it sold in record numbers. That probably has something to do with it being Amy Tangerine's Plus One collection that I am seeing everywhere right now. But I digress, so let's get into it.



I decided to have a play with Kate and Lauren's Sketch Duet challenge this month. To refresh your memory, here's what the sketch looks like


Being a traditional 12x12 scrapper, my first challenge was to make it square whilst still filling the page and keeping it balanced. I chose to rotate the sketch as I prefer to work side to side rather than top to bottom in symmetrical layouts. This meant I had to choose a portrait oriented photo, and this one of my baby son starting childcare worked perfectly with the playful papers in the kit. What a bonus that his Tshirt was the same colour as the aqua Plus One paper! I think I have to stock up on a few of those!

I thought about getting out the sewing machine to make those vertical (or in my case horizontal) lines running across the page, but then I saw the hearts on the Basic Grey paper and chose to split it up and layering the paper back together carefully. Or.... not so carefully. Don't look too close, but if you did, you'd notice that the bottom row of hearts (the red row) is actually split off from the blues. I was originally going to have 2 rows top and 2 rows bottom, but it was just looking too symmetrical for me personally, so I added an extra row to the bottom. It can be our little secret, ok? ;)

The most obvious change to the sketch is the circles... yup, mine became triangles. I decided to use them to create a type of arrow pointing towards the photo. {If I can be completely honest, I was just too lazy to pull out my circle cutter} At that point I flicked through the leftovers from older Polly kits and found some Heidi Swapp embellishments, which I just adore and use every chance I get. However that then led me to the new Heidi Swapp collection (this is exactly why it takes me way too long to finish a page). The big star screamed out to me, as I could then repeat the star shape with the wood veneers from the Polly kit. I also continued with the arrows scattered across the page - all pointing towards the photo (I knew there was a real reason I changed my circles to triangles!). I finished with the gold geo-tag and the Amy Tangerine exclusive flair, and couldn't help but add some doodling here and there also, to further create a playful tone.



Possibly one of my favourite elements of the kit this month are the wood veneer stars - they fit into each other! That gave me even more variety when sprinkling them around the page. Love, love LOVE me some stars!

Oh, one other thing you'll notice.... there's no title specifically. The journaling just ended up taking too much room. And despite the gorgeous Heidi Swapp phrases, I decided to call this layout "First Day at Childcare" and squeezed it into the top left after removing an embellishment. It might not stand out, but I've convinced myself it's ok!

Thanks for popping in. I hope you're all entering the Sketch Duet challenge too! There are FIVE prizes to be won, so what do you have to lose?! Upload your paper project that uses the sketch, then upload to Instagram tagging #pollysketchduet.

Till next time, enjoy your crafting!
Sandra x

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

* indicates required

Blog Archive